Projects per year
Rosa Maria Ballardini is Professor of IP law and Vice Dean (research) at the University of Lapland, Faculty of Law. She holds a PhD from Hanken School of Economics, Finland (2012), an LLM in IT and IP law from the University of Edinburgh, Scotland (2005) and a law degree from the University of Brescia, Italy (2003). In 2017 Rosa was granted the title of Docent (Docentti) in Intellectual Property Law from the University of Helsinki. Previously – 2008 to 2009- she was a Visiting Scholar at UC Berkeley/Boalt Hall.
Since 2005 she has researched and taught in the field of IP law at various universities. Rosa’s research interests focus on the interface between law (with focus on IP law), technology and sustainability. Currently, she also investigates issues related to the role of empathy in law and decision making. She has written extensively especially in the fields of patent and copyright law, open innovation and open source, as well as IP strategies and IP management in various technological contexts (e.g. software, 3D printing, Artificial Intelligence, industrial internet and polymer-related technologies). Her research approach is multidisciplinary, combining law, technology, business and policy via using different types of methodologies (e.g. traditional legal research methods, empirical methods and design thinking in legal studies).
Key words: Intellectual propertly law; IPR and sustainability; Law and empathy; software copyright; software patents; 3D printing and IPRs; Industrial Internet, IPRs and privacy; Artificial Intelligence Regulation; Plastics regulation; Traditional knolwdge, IPRs and fundamental rights; open source, open hardware; open innovation and co-creation; design thinking and law; case study research method and law.
Currently ongoing projects:
- Human-technology interoperability and artificial emotional intelligence (HIPE) (1.6.2022-30.5.2025). Financed by Business Finland.
- Promoting Sustainable Practices for Digitalizing Indigenous Cultural Heritage - Global North and South Juxtaposed (TRUST) (1.8.2022-31.12.2025). Financed by the Univeristy of Lapland strategic funding.
- Indigenous Cultures in Evolution: Governing Rights and Responsibilities through Sustainable Law and Ethics (INCLUSION) (1.8.2022-31.12.2024). Financed by Team Finland Knowledge Programme.
- Education network for automated and connected transport for sustainable cities (ENACT) (01.01.2021-31.07.2023). Financed by Ministry of education and culture.
- Shaping, fixing and making markets via IPR: regulating sustainable innovation ecosystems (SHARE) (1.9.2020-31.8.2024). Financed by the Academy of Finland. Info at: https://www2.helsinki.fi/en/shareinnoproject and https://research.ulapland.fi/en/projects/markkinoiden-muokkaaminen-korjaaminen-ja-luominen-immateriaalioik
- Bio-oils based polymeric composites; value chain from synthesis to additive manufacturing (VALUEBIOMAT 1) (1.6.2019-31.5.2022). Financed by the Strategic Research Council – Academy of Finland. Info at: https://valuebiomat.fi/ and https://research.ulapland.fi/en/projects/bio-%C3%B6ljyihin-perustuvat-polymeerikomposiitit-arvoketju-synteesist
- Bio-oils based polymeric composites; value chain from synthesis to additive manufacturing (VALUEBIOMAT 2) (1.9.2022-31.8.2025). Financed by the Strategic Research Council – Academy of Finland. Info at: https://valuebiomat.fi/ and https://research.ulapland.fi/en/projects/bio-%C3%B6ljyihin-perustuvat-polymeerikomposiitit-arvoketju-synteesist
- ONPOOL6B Introduction to Intellectual Property Law
- ONPOOL6E Case Clinics
- ONPOOL15C Varallisuus- ja kauppaoikeuden notaaritutkielma
- ONEVAL0032 Guide to IPR
- OTMEVAL0037 International Trade Law
- OTMEVAL0045 Advanced Copyright Law
- OTMEVAL0046 Advanced Patent Law
- OTMEVAL0047 Advanced Trademark Law
- OTM0013O Master Seminar in Intellectual Property Law
Assistant Professor (part-time), Hanken School of Economics
1 Aug 2012 → 31 Dec 2016
Field of science
- Business and management
- 1 Similar Profiles
TRUST: PromoTing Sustainable PRactices for Digitalizing IndigenoUS CulTural Heritage - Global North and South Juxtaposed (TRUST)
01.09.2022 → 31.12.2024
INCLUSION: Indigenous Cultures in Evolution: Governing Rights and Responsibilities through Sustainable Law and Ethics
01.08.2022 → 31.12.2024
Project: Co-funded project
01.05.2022 → 30.04.2025
Project: Co-funded project
Digital Indigenous Cultural Heritage – Reconciling Intellectual Property Rights, Human Rights and Indigenous Worldviews through Proactive Approaches and EngagementBallardini, R., Kestilä, I. & Girardi, D., 9 Jun 2023, (Accepted/In press) Business, Human Rights and Sustainable Development. Hossain Bhuiyan, J. & Islam, R. (eds.). Brill
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Chapter › Scientific › peer-review
Pettersson, A., Ballardini, R., Mimler, M., Li, P., Salmi, M., Minssen, T., Gibson, I. & Mäkitie, A., 27 Feb 2023, In: Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology. 11
Research output: Contribution to journal › Review Article › peer-reviewOpen Access
Härkönen, H., Ballardini, R., Pietarinen, H. & Sarantou, M., 11 Jun 2023, In: NuArt Journal. 4, 1 (issue 7), p. 100-110
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › Scientific › peer-reviewOpen Access
Siltaloppi, J. & Ballardini, R., 17 Mar 2023, In: Journal of Co-operative Organization and Management. 11, 1, 100200.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › Scientific › peer-reviewOpen Access1 Citation (Scopus)
Protecting and Accessing Indigenous Peoples’ Digital Cultural Heritage through Sustainable Governance and IPR Structures - The case of Sámi CultureKestilä, I., Ballardini, R., Mähönen, J. & Pihlajarinne, T., 17 Aug 2023, (Accepted/In press) In: Arctic review on law and politics.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › Scientific › peer-review
Rosa Ballardini (Organiser), Rob van den Hoven van Genderen (Organiser), Béatrice Schütte (Member of programme committee), Amanda Näsi (Member of programme committee) & Olli Pitkänen (Member of programme committee)6 Jun 2023
Activity: Participating in or organisation of an event › Membership of an organizing committee or other positions of trust of a conference or a seminar
Protecting, Accessing and Developing Digital Indigenous Cultural Heritage: Responsibilising IPRs through Proactive Approaches and Engagement.
Rosa Ballardini (Speaker)1 Jun 2023
Activity: Presentation › Public or invited talk
Indigenous people knowledge and rights and the role of society, business, and government: Facing challenges and building protection9 May 2023
Activity: Participating in or organisation of an event › Membership of a scientific or program committee of a conference or seminar
1 Media contribution
Media contents: Research